2/04/2013

quinoa cakes

Technically, this is a baby food recipe. But who cares, when everyone in the family likes them. They're small so they are perfect for the littlest fingers, but a few at a time make a fine snack for the rest of us.

And I'm not sure why I was getting excited about this while I was making them, but they would make good airplane food. A portable, healthy protein that's not string cheese or almonds? What's not to get excited about?!

The basic recipe can be made savoury or sweet with your choice of seasoning. Cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom are all good.  I want to try cumin or thyme next time.



Ack. Bad lighting. I can't wait for the 'someday' that my kitchen will be flooded with natural light.

I got this recipe from a friend, who got it from a friend, and well, I have no idea where it came from. So, Original Source, please forgive me for not crediting you.

quinoa cakes
makes 25-30 cakes

1 C quinoa
1 ripe banana
seasoning of choice
2 Tbs butter

Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve and put in bowl. Add cool water until quinoa is covered by about 1/2" of water. Cover and leave to soak overnight in fridge.

In the morning, put soaked quinoa into a blender with banana and puree, adding a little more water if necessary, until mixture is the consistency of pancake batter. Add a pinch or two of whatever seasoning you want.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add batter by the spoonful to form mini pancakes. Lightly brown on each side. Cool before serving.

These freeze well.  To freeze, place in single layer on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, then store together.

No comments: